Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rear Axle Swap Dana 70u from Jeep CJ10A Tug

BTT

How is the M1008 axle set up to match the Dana70U rear's track width?
    Can't imagine they are left around 6" different.
    Perhaps I'm off on my interpretation of the Dana 60 (M1008) front's width of 69" vs the Dana70U's 75.5"???

Quote Originally Posted by jlogan View Post
    Cool. Have you put this axle under your truck? I'm sure others would like to see some pics if you get a chance to post them up. How wide is the axle?
    The axle is 74" wide wms-to-wms

Quote Originally Posted by cleefurd View Post
    BTT

How is the M1008 axle set up to match the Dana70U rear's track width?
    Can't imagine they are left around 6" different.
    Perhaps I'm off on my interpretation of the Dana 60 (M1008) front's width of 69" vs the Dana70U's 75.5"???
    That's why he's using the dually hubs.

Quote Originally Posted by 4X4jeepfreak View Post
    The axle is 74" wide wms-to-wms
    Is that front or rear? I seem to recall numerous posts indicating the CJ10A tug axle being 75.5" WMS to WMS. Still trying to grasp the best complimentary front axle for that set-up. I really like jlogan's HMMWV stock rim application, which would seem to use a spacer to match the rear tug axle width, while sidestepping the usual problem of excessive HMMWV backspacing for the CUCV front axle.

Quote Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
    That's why he's using the dually hubs.
    jlogan is using dually hubs? I thought his rear axle was 75.5 wms to wms.
    I'm trying to determine his front axle M1008 set-up to have similar track widths front and rear.
    Last edited by cleefurd; May 9th, 2011 at 07:29 PM.

The tug axle is 75.5" WMS/WMS so a Chevy SRW Dana 60 front will ne narrower. Using a Chevy DRW front Dana 60 adds about 8" to the WMS/WMS and will give you a wider front than rear (like stock) and work well with the tug axle. Another option is a Dodge DRW front Dana 60. Dodge axles are about 2" narrower than Chevy but that makes them work well with the tug axle when using the DRW hubs.

Edit
    Last edited by jlogan; May 10th, 2011 at 02:59 PM.

For the front axle has DRW hubs swapped onto a SRW Dana 60 from a M1008.

The front tires stick out of the fenders just a little bit more than the rear tires. There is another thread out there that shows more of the front axle swap.

If the Dodge front DRW axle width is 2" less than the Chevy, it would probably be a perfect fit (as far as keeping the outer edge of the hummer wheel/tire combo even with the fender).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jay

Let me see if I got this...
    A close match would be a Dodge front axle that came from a DRW truck?
    Does the "DRW" designation signify a unique front axle width specific to DRW trucks, or is that a special Dodge front hub that generates the resulting width? Or is it a rear hub placed on the front axle? Gosh I must sound stupid, but I'm trying to get my notes situated.

If it is the latter (DRW hub??), does that hub have the ability to accept lockouts for highway driving?

BTW Grantshire, does the gentleman in Houston still have the CJ10A axle to your knowledge?
    Thanks Grantshire and jlogan for helping me figure this one out.

DRW means dual rear wheel which means your front axle is a little different too. If you have this your front axle will have special hubs on it that increase the WMS. To the best of my knowledge the hubs are interchangeable between the SRW and DRW Dana 60's. So if you have a Dodge Dana 60 with SRW hubs you can put DRW hubs on it without any modifications and vice versa. This is just for the front axle, the rear is different and not interchangeable with the front.

Maybe someone a little more computer literate than me can link that JP magazine article about their M-715 axle swap. It explains it pretty good I think. In fact maybe one of the mods could put it under the sticky about axle swaps.