Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pertronix upgrade

Default Pertronix 24 volt electronic ignition MV-161

I posted the below on a Power Wagon forum, but I'm adding the Pertronix to my M715's so I'll post it here as well. The Pertronix part number is the same for the M715's and the M37's.

I ordered an electronic ignition for my M-37. This morning I just received and installed my 24-volt Pertronix Ignitor electronic ignition and I am now a true believer. For the $157.89 I spent to have it delivered and the 20 minutes it took to install, this product is awesome. My problem had been the engine missing at high RPM's. I had adjusted the gap, dwell and timing to specs as well as done vacuum and compression checks. They were all within their respective ranges, but did not solve my problem. Once I installed the Pertronix, problem solved. In hindsight, it seems to have been the points bouncing off the cam lobes at high RPM's. The part number is MV-161 and I ordered it from their website. They do not stock it, so it takes 1-2 weeks for them to make it and ship it. All I had to do is trim the two wires, and crimp on the connectors and it all fit neatly inside my stock distributor.

Some comments I received from Charles Talbert at mseriesrebuild.com regarding this post that might pertain to your upgrade:

"Your issue is very likely that the shaft bushings are worn allowing the shaft to bounce around instead of running true. The symptoms you describe are very typical. You should have taken care of this issue by repairing at the time of the module install. If you don't attend to this issue, the pick up ring will soon start to run into the module as a result of shaft wobble destroying the new components. New bushings need to be installed & reamed to .501" ID for top performance. Your shaft may be worn out of spec & require replacement also. End play is shim adjustable. The cam on the top end of the shaft wears & is a major contributor to this. It is repairable only by machine work. The felt under the rotor needs to be oiled regularly to prevent cam wear. Only the bottom shaft bushing gets oiled from the engine. The top bushing must be manually oiled regularly. The top oil seal also is a big factor in lubrication. Many owners are not aware of this, thus we see lots of wallowed out top bushings."

Thanks for posting the great Info !!

What kind of oil? New/clean engine oil? Thanks...Ken
    Thanks for all the help!

New/clean engine oil

By any chance you have photos? I am a very visual learner, it would help tremendously. Thanks

Just pull off the rotor and it's right there on the top of the shaft. Can't miss it!
    Thank you Wateka!!
    Last edited by kyken; June 11th, 2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Added thanks!
    Thanks for all the help!

Is there an exact description how to install a pertronix?
    Should not be a hard work, but for a newbee..?

Coil etc remains, I suppose?

Pertronix website says, it runs with 12V, not 24V (http://www.shopatron.com/products/mo....0.0.0?tp=spec), but I have read, there is an easy way to get 12V even when running a 24V System.
    Last edited by N2S3; January 10th, 2011 at 03:17 PM.

What is regularly? I don't put alot of time on my engine, maybe 1000 miles a season, but haven't had the ignitor cap off since I got the truck. Will be replacing the coil very soon. Thats probably a good time to lube the felt pad.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by N2S3 View Post
    Is there an exact description how to install a pertronix?
    Should not be a hard work, but for a newbee..?

Coil etc remains, I suppose?

Pertronix website says, it runs with 12V, not 24V (http://www.shopatron.com/products/mo....0.0.0?tp=spec), but I have read, there is an easy way to get 12V even when running a 24V System.
    They make a 24V;
    Model MV-161-----(or)---------MV-161A

Here's a link to a thread where the forum member indicates the price and lead time to order it as it is not routinely kept in stock by Petronix, but an active option; http://m715zone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11284
    Please let me know how it goes.... if I can get my truck running satisfactorily (just bought it a week ago and have never heard it run yet) I will eventually upgrade to the Petronix setup.

D'oh !!!
    I just realized it is THIS thread that I posted the link to above. Not blonde not blonde not blonde.

If it is 24V would be great.