Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pertronix upgrade

Yes, the cap is off and the wires hang down. Otherwise not, the heat would melt them.

Truck ran fine with the old plugs no doubt, but Erik send the 2344. Just wondering for the differences.
    I bought the wires too, not cheap. I should replace them also, unsteady...
    First will be to finish the pertronix installation!

There is a gas tank to clean also... Maybe the carb as well

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

You will be very happy with the Pertronix.

I've installed them in just about everything I own, and it makes for less maintenance, easy starting, and smoother power all around. I've never had any issues with one either, the oldest being in my Ford tractor for 6 years now.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

The 2245 plugs are used for the M38A1 and M151 4 cyl. motors.

Where do the wires of the Pertronis get hooked to?
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    Where do the wires of the Pertronis get hooked to?
    Positive and Negative terminals of the coil.

Did you finish up yet and get a chance to give it a drive? I'd like to see what your impression is of the truck with the modification.

Thanks

--Wintermute

Not finished yet, lousy weather outside.
    Will give it a try tomorrow, got a crimping tool and that will be the last step. Then cap the ignitorbox, reinstall batteries and try to fire up...

Would you install a Pertronix ignition even if your points and condenser were doing their job? I've thought about it since I first heard about this system, but never got around to it. What's everyones opinion on this subject?
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    Would you install a Pertronix ignition even if your points and condenser were doing their job? I've thought about it since I first heard about this system, but never got around to it. What's everyones opinion on this subject?
    Yes, for a couple of reasons. (This is just my opinion though)

First, in a vehicle or piece of equipment I use regularly or almost never, I never have to worry about points getting dirty from sitting, or wearing out and changing the timing. Filing and adjusting while hanging over a fender is something I don't find charming anymore. I can't even find my analog dwell meter anymore.

Second, I don't like to work on something to enjoy it or use it when I need it, and I find that points are an antiquated item that need attention somewhat regularly. If I don't have to ever think of them again, that to me is a good thing.

Third, moisture doesn't bother an electronic pickup.

Last, I hear a lot of people say they don't like electronics because the fail and you can't just fix them on the side of the road. I can honestly say I've had no ignition failures that left me sitting on anything I've converted. I've had more stock electronic ignitions fail but that was in the early day when electronics weren't so good anyway.

I tried to install a new coil and tune up kit I got from VPW this past weekend. This was the first time I have ever worked on a points system so it was truly a learning experience. Once everything was in place I set the points gap to 0.020" with a feeler gauge and then tried to start up the truck....NOTHING. It was running fine before I attempted this "tune up"

I thought that perhaps I had the rotor 180 deg out but nope that was not the case. I then discovered that the chrome coil I received from VPW is giving some negligible readings so I swapped it out for the original coil...NOTHING.

I did the same with the rotor and still nothing. At 11pm on Saturday night I gave up.

I decided to order up the MV-161A kit from M Series Rebuild today in hopes of having it delivered by the weekend. Unfortunately when I spoke with Charles I learned that he does not accept credit cards so I would have to send him a cheque (not good for a Canadian given the currency difference) or a money order. Once he received the money he would then mail out the part.

In my search for another alternative I found Jim at Car Shop Inc http://pertronix.carshopinc.com/prod...119765/MV-161A with a lower price ta boot! The website said it was in stock but I thought I would call to be sure. Unfortunately he had sold the piece that had been on his shelf for 6 months last week. He said he would call Pertronix to see about drop shipping for me. 5 minutes later I got a call back from him saying that it would not be a problem with a turn around of 1 week or so. I asked if there would be anyway of having it delivered to upstate NY by Friday afternoon. He said to send him the order right away and to select UPS 2nd Day Air. That is what I did and the cost ended up only being $154.00.

If all goes well I'll have an electronic ignition this weekend! Keep your fingers crossed for me.
    1967 M715 w/wn
    1968 M715 w WVT993 maint bed
    1969 M725