Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pertronix upgrade

CH, I'm sure that the wick could be made of any product that will absorb a few drops of oil. Maybe a small piece of sponge. If you went to a store like Hobby Lobby or a sewing store, you might be able to find a piece of felt to fit in there. Before you button it back up, that void needs to be filled I believe. Good luck.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Holy Cow! I can not believe the difference the Petronix Ignition made! I drove the truck about 25 miles or so today and it has a lot more get up and go. Well worth the investment!
    Thanks for all the help!

I wouldn't know. LOL!

I hate having dead Jeeps.
    1967 M715 w/wn
    1968 M715 w WVT993 maint bed
    1969 M725

My Pertronix arrived today. Will install new starter first, make sure that works properly, then I'll get around to the electronic ignition. I never had a problem with my points or condensor, but I've heard so many good things about the Pertronix upgrade that I just had to try it. Truth is, I don't believe I've ever heard of a bad review on the product. It just seems incredible that such a simple upgrade could make such a big difference. Hope it makes a difference for me.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I am happy to report that I was able to take my truck for a short test drive this evening. It fires up very quickly now. It has always driven pretty good on the road but it did pull strongly up a nearby hill in 4th gear.

I am happy that I will not have to screw around with points and condensers in the future.

Turns out my starting problem was due to a loose connection at the on/off switch.

I looked at my distributor and there was no felt. None on the spare engine I had either. It wasn't until I checked the M725 that I found the elusive little devil! I still had one truck left to search if need be.

Here's what the little bugger looks like.

I soaked it in oil and reinstalled into the shaft under the rotor. Thanks Militarypotts. Before I did so I doubled checked that there was no play in the shaft which could cause problems later.
    1967 M715 w/wn
    1969 M725

Glad it all worked out for you. I've yet to install my Pertronix, but I will do it shortly. Put in a new starter and coil last week. This would have been a great time for ignition upgrade, but I never do anything the easy way. Also the truck runs so well, I keep thinking why do I want to change anything, but I will get around to it. My Pertronix unit is the MV161A. Slightly different than the MV161. Wires are shorter, and have connector rings already crimped on I believe.

Just ordered my MV161A for my M725. Can't wait to install it.
    1968 M725(2)
    1967 M715
    1967 M725(2)
    1963 M43
    1954 M37
    1967 M103A3 w/M1010 Body

My MV161 is ready now, Truck starts and run fine. No big deal.
    Wires are long and you have to crimp the connectors, but thats an easy install, everyone can do it in 30 minutes (after reading the instructions which are very easy to follow).

It's easy to install only if they send the right part! Went to install mine yesterday, and the wrong part was in the box. Called Car Shop Inc where I bought it and explained the problem as the new plate would not even fit into the distributor, Tim pulled the same part off his shelf and his was the same as the one I had, didn't even match the pic on the instructions. He called Petronix and they could didn't have a clue what we were talking about. I then directed them to this forum about the MV161A. Thanks to the pics Cornholio took of the box, the contents, and the part# stamped on the plate, I think we are all on the same sheet of music. I am just waiting on Monday to see when I get the right one. Again thanks for the pics Cornholio they were a big help. When they figure out if it was a bad batch of kits, they are only $127.95 plus shipping from Car Shop Inc. Tim in sales has been a big help in solving the issue.
    1968 M725(2)
    1967 M715
    1967 M725(2)
    1963 M43
    1954 M37
    1967 M103A3 w/M1010 Body

Hey Moose, glad I could help out with the pics and lower pricing. Sorry to hear that you were unfortunate enough to get the wrong kit somehow.

Tim wondered if there would be a run on these kits so that must be why he had a couple on his shelf. He was very nice to deal with in my situation too by having Pertronix drop ship the kit via UPS BLUE.

Keep us posted on the outcome.
    1967 M715 w/wn
    1969 M725