Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: In over my head (again)

Cool Project: In over my head (again)

Hey all!

My name's Joe and I just got a hold of one of my favorite vehicles (probably yours too) a '67 M715 and boy is she a beauty Clark. I picked it up this weekend the the help of some friends. She doesn't run at the moment but everything is there and supposedly it ran when it was parked a couple years a go. The body is super solid as well as the frame. Only surface rust on the frame and one small hole in the back of the cab (not visible unless underneath). Ideally, in my dream world, I'd like to swap in a 5.7 Hemi with a manual transmission and tcase behind it but that's a little ways down the road. First thing's first, getting it running and driving as is so I can play with it this summer!

So here's where she sits: Electrical works enough to crank the starter, gauges light up, blower motor works, clutch works, and not much else haha. I need to figure out how to get the spark plugs out to check for spark and I'm sure that the carb is clogged. I also need to check her compression but my fingers are crossed. Once I coax her to start and run, the next problem is the trans is stuck in 1st. Hopefully it's just a linkage issue. brakes go to the floor (not really surprised), fuel system needs cleaned/replaced, and she definitely needs a canvas top. Anyways, I'll have plenty of questions and hopefully I can turn this old girl into a reliable, short distance daily.

Here she is in all her glory!

loaded up to bring home

and here's where she'll sit until I can free up some garage space

@hayeselmotors

Welcome to the club. You will find many answers here, quite a group of friendly and non-judgemental guys, unlike other websites that I frequent.

I am in the group of "Stock" trucks. I have removed a few "improvements" to my truck making it close to original. Why? First of all, that is what I like. But if it is stock, all of the Technical Manuals apply and are readily available here.

Please keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Red_Jeep View Post
    Hey all!

My name's Joe and I just got a hold of one of my favorite vehicles ...

...I need to figure out how to get the spark plugs out to check for spark and I'm sure that the carb is clogged. I also need to check her compression but my fingers are crossed. Once I coax her to start and run, the next problem is the trans is stuck in 1st. Hopefully it's just a linkage issue. brakes go to the floor (not really surprised), fuel system needs cleaned/replaced, and she definitely needs a canvas top. Anyways, I'll have plenty of questions and hopefully I can turn this old girl into a reliable, short distance daily.
    Fuel systems are always a problem. The tank most likely has tons of rust in it which will continue to clog the system. I opted for a new tank made by a member here.

Brakes, again, I went stock, retained the single system but all new steel lines, new master cylinder and new wheel cylinder. Others can show you how to change to a dual master cylinder if you choose that route.

Plugs need a crow's foot to get the wire off. Then, the plugs just come out of the head. Here is what the crow's foot looks like:

The spark plug. Note, there are two different lengths that have come up with our trucks. In my truck now are the ones that are a little too long. They are difficult to get the crow's foot on. I have since gotten the other plug (from NAPA) and will eventually change them. I will get the numbers for you later today or tomorrow:

Thanks for the welcome Don!

We got the plugs out and cleaned up and wouldn't you know it, it started and ran! granted, we had to pour fuel down the carb but she started up super easy! I've never had an old carb engine start with so little drama. Now on to the rest of what needs help. I need to replace everything that is rubber, clean out the fuel tank, replace the rubber fuel filler neck (ripped in half), get the trans out of gear, service the brakes (pedal goes to floor, probably rotted hoses), and maybe, I can take her for a spin! There's probably some other parts that I'm forgetting but who cares! A 50year old engine that hasn't ran in years ran!

@hayeselmotors

Welcome and enjoy! These trucks are a blast to work on.

Our trucks may have been stationed at the same place at one point... That cab roof looks like it may have been made by the same meathead that made mine.

Congrats on your purchase! If you are interested in selling some of the troop seat parts: I am interested!

Quote Originally Posted by 44willysmb View Post
    Congrats on your purchase! If you are interested in selling some of the troop seat parts: I am interested!
    Actually, the uprights for the troop seats are in backwards with the boards facing out!

Interesting mirror arm concept...
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

Glad it runs.

Go into the brakes thinking hoses, wheel cylinders, master and maybe lines too. That way you won't be surprised. But, you have to think through modified or stock before you start on the brakes. Just like every other system on the truck.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Glad it runs.

Go into the brakes thinking hoses, wheel cylinders, master and maybe lines too. That way you won't be surprised. But, you have to think through modified or stock before you start on the brakes. Just like every other system on the truck.
    I think at this point I'm going to leave the brakes stock. I'm thinking about a disc brake conversion on the front.

I got the trans opened up and figured out why it wouldn't shift... no oil for who knows how long and everything rusted. Luckily the shift collars move between gears but the shifter itself was pretty stuck. With an extremely liberal application of PB blaster and a wire brush I was able to get the shifter to move. I figure next I'll refill the trans and drive it a bit then change the fluid again. Maybe it will knock off all of the rust. We also noticed half of the reverse gear got ground off by all the newbie drivers. Oh well. At least one more thing is on its way to working.

EWWWWWWWWW

Even more EWWWWW

@hayeselmotors