Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: In over my head (again)

That sucks. If the rust in the gears and bearings is deep, T98s are plentiful enough that I would just wait to find one in decent shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    That sucks. If the rust in the gears and bearings is deep, T98s are plentiful enough that I would just wait to find one in decent shape.
    X2
    Start looking for a decent one that someone has removed to do a repower.

They are plentiful, but replacement parts to do a rebuild are not.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post

They are plentiful, but replacement parts to do a rebuild are not.
    I need to correct myself.
    Bearings and syncros for the T98 are available, but most of the gears can be tough to find.

It was obvious that my truck sat in the rain for godknows how long. It does have the rubber boot around the shifter but no clamp at the top. So rain was running down and getting into the transmission. Mine did have oil in it but when I drained the oil, it looked like coffee with lots of cream. Only one small piece of metal came out.

I refilled it with NAPA gear oil and what a difference. It shifts very smoothly now. I need to get off of my fat arse and change it again, I know...

So, all of that being said, what's the chance that you just clean up your transmission and fill it with fresh oil? Might just work. Remember, these things were designed and built for GIs!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    So, all of that being said, what's the chance that you just clean up your transmission and fill it with fresh oil? Might just work. Remember, these things were designed and built for GIs!
    I think I'm going to go that route. Refill it with oil (90W gear oil correct?) and run it for a little while then change out the oil.

@hayeselmotors

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Red_Jeep View Post
    I think I'm going to go that route. Refill it with oil (90W gear oil correct?) and run it for a little while then change out the oil.
    That's what I would do. Not too overly expensive and kinda, "What do you have to loose?"

I got a 5-gal bucket of "Xtreme 80W-90 API GL-5 Gear Oil" from NAPA. My pockets at the time were not deep enough for Synthetic oil. I have to tell you that taking out that old oil and replacing it with the 80W-90 oil made a big difference. I have been too lazy to change it again.

As the Kingfish said, I need to get "unlazy"...

It is your truck to do with as you wish. Just like it is your money to spend as you wish. That being said, the stock brakes do a wonderful job of stopping the truck. Unless you plan to race down mountains, front disc brakes aren't really called for.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    It is your truck to do with as you wish. Just like it is your money to spend as you wish. That being said, the stock brakes do a wonderful job of stopping the truck. Unless you plan to race down mountains, front disc brakes aren't really called for.
    I could not have said it better. I have 100% stock brakes, drums, shoes, single master cylinder and it will lock up the wheels. And, everything I needed to know was in the TMs at the top of this page. No engineering to do.

But "It is your truck to do with as you wish." as mentioned above. Please do not think this is any kind of criticism, just my experience for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    I agree.
    If using stock size tires and wheels, the original braking system does a fine job, if kept well maintained.

But, adding a dual circuit master cylinder is well worth the piece of mind, and can be done easily, and cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    I agree.
    If using stock size tires and wheels, the original braking system does a fine job, if kept well maintained.

But, adding a dual circuit master cylinder is well worth the piece of mind, and can be done easily, and cheaply.
    Is there a specific dual master cylinder to look at? At this point in the project, everything is up in the air. I figure drum brakes get a bad rap since they're more complicated than discs.

@hayeselmotors