Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: In over my head (again)

Upgrade brake master cylinder (Wagner)

That's a dual M/C thread that has some part numbers mentioned.

I think I read on here of people using early Corvette master cylinders. I used one for a 68 C30.

last year somebody posted a pretty detailed account of their M/C swap with part numbers for fittings and all that. Can't remember who it was though... good post.

just plan on doing all of it once you get started.. master, wheel cylinders, rubber lines... maybe shoes too..

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post

But, adding a dual circuit master cylinder is well worth the piece of mind, and can be done easily, and cheaply.
    I didn't do this but it certainly is a good idea. I would support it. But because I don't know how to design a brake system, cylinder bore size, proportioning valve etc. I would not attempt it.

Let us know!

I have the 1976 corvette non power disc/disc master on my truck. It works great but without a booster, strong legs are needed. With the hydroboost I just wiggle my toe and tires chirp at any speed.

Kwai has a truck with the Wagner dual and no booster. It feels as good as mine while driving. Both trucks have everything else in the system stock.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I used a Dorman master cylinder for a mid to late 60's jeep wagoner/truck.

It only has a 1" bore making pedal effort a lot easier.
    It is a direct fit to the stock pedals, and easy to plumb up.
    My old post stated that it was a Dorman M56193
    http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemde...&SEName=m56193

Last edited by jeepdan; February 15th, 2017 at 11:18 PM.

No proportioning valve needed.
    Looking at my pictures,
    #1 -The 3/16" line from the rear brakes goes directly to the front port of the master cylinder.
    #2- The top port of the junction block that accepted the 1/4" line coming down from the master cylinder gets plugged.
    #3- Then using the rear port of the junction block, that was originally connected to the 3/16" rear brake line, connect it to the rear port of the master cylinder., feeding the front brakes
    Last edited by jeepdan; February 15th, 2017 at 11:40 PM.

Thanks for the brake info all! Now I know what direction to head in for overhauling the brakes.

So this weekend with the warm weather I decided to start work on the fuel system. The fuel filler neck had a LOT of corrosion in it. I'm not sure if it's crystalized gasoline or aluminum corrosion. Either way, a wire brush dealt with it nicely.

It cleans up nicely

The neck itself definitely needs replaced since A: it ripped in half at the fuel tank and B: there are plenty of dry rot cracks. I'll order a new one from Memphis Equipment.

I also dropped the fuel tank and it looks surprisingly clean. Just some varnish and gasoline residue. I'll be cleaning that out this week.

The truck is getting that much closer to driving! Right now, all that standing in my way is the fuel tank, brakes, and apparently the trans is still stuck in 2nd. I must not have aligned a shift fork properly. On an unrelated note, does anyone have a pic of the gas pedal throttle linkage? Mine is broken and I can't figure out what's supposed to go where. Thanks!

@hayeselmotors

Here you go.

Hey, I see a few screws missing.
    One missing from the heater, and one in the transmission cover.
    Talk about shoddy craftsmanship

Thanks for the pic! so my return spring is broken and I'm missing a linkage bar... Does anyone know of where to source a new one? I can't find any. I did see something about using a FSJ pedal? do those have similar linkages?

@hayeselmotors

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Red_Jeep View Post
    Thanks for the pic! so my return spring is broken and I'm missing a linkage bar... Does anyone know of where to source a new one? I can't find any. I did see something about using a FSJ pedal? do those have similar linkages?
    Saturn Surplus has the pedal rod.
    http://www.saturnsurplus.com/m715/m715.htm

For the pedal itself ,yes ,FSJ pedal is the same but it has to be from the 60's
    Tough to find, and expensive. Last year, I was outbid on ebay for a nice one that went for over $90.00

Ok, Surplus City shows a pedal for $45.00 Doesn't say Jeep on it though ,if it matters.
    http://originalmilitaryjeepparts.com/m715/M715.htm