Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HUMMER TIRES

If any of you are interested, Texas Tire Terminal in Burleson, Tx. has hummer pull-offs out the wazoo. $75-$100 depending on treadwear. Sorry, no Michelins.

Default HUMMER TIRES

i know this may sound stupid, but what size are hummer tires? i got out of the guard before the hummer came along. larry watkins

37's for the Goodyear mud wrangler deals, and slightly smaller for the more AT style... I THINK.. might be 36.... (checking) nope, 37's

I wouldn't necessarily pay that much for them unless they're in good shape, but that's not a bad price if they are. DAVE have you seen them????
    **I heart Bump_r **

No, I drove by their lot on a Sat. while taking my daughter to a cheerleading competition. I called them the next monday on the off chance they might be michelin friendly. The salesman told me about the hummer wranglers then. I know that goodyear has started offering this tire to the public and if memory serves it is about $250 a pop. My theory is that military may have replaced a bunch prior to shipping out to Iraq. maybe yes, maybe no. I don't know how often they get changed but my m715 has a date code branded on sidewall. I was told that they got changed every so often reguardless of wear. Again, I don't know this for a fact. If anyone is interested I have a toll free # for them somewhere.

I'm running them. cost me $85 apiece lot of tread. Goodyear wranglers R?T II 36x12.50 16.5. seem to run good but are a b when turning with out power stearring.

Are you running a 16.5 on the stock 16 rim? If yes, is that a safe practice?

Are you running a 16.5 on the stock 16 rim? If yes, is that a safe practice?
    This is a srious no-no. Aside from the difference in bead seat diameter, there is a marked differecne in bead seat profile. The 16s are like ant other style, essentially perpendicular to wheel centerline. The 16.5s have angled bead seat area. I found this info:

Defect Overview: Mismatched Tires and Wheel Rims

The most common cause of tire mounting explosions occurs due to mismatching tire and rim sizes. This is a serious hazard to tire fitters who are required to select an appropriate tire for a wheel. Until the introduction of the 16.5 inch wheel, these types of accidents were rare. The 16.5 inch wheel will accept a 16 inch tire, but this mismatch will most likely result in bead hang up and explosion. Poor labeling and weak beads contribute to the hazard.

During mounting of the tire to the rim, the bead can get hung up on a portion of the rim. Additional inflation pressure is usually added to seat the bead; however, bead hang up stresses the entire bead bundle and the lack of robustness in this area of the tire contributes to a catastrophic failure. The trajectory of the tire can cause loss of limbs, crushed bones, permanent brain damage and death.

And this:
    Defect Overview: Debeading

The bead area of a tire, which consists of reinforced steel bands, is designed to seat against the vehicle rim when it is inflated. A tire can "debead" when the bead area is forced from its seat and results in rapid air loss.

Debeading most often occurs when the vehicle is exposed to high lateral loads (i.e., either during extreme cornering maneuvers or when the vehicle is sliding sideways.) The potential for debeading increases with lower inflation pressures. Tire debeading results in rapid deflation of the tire and may cause a "rim trip" wherein the lip of the tire rim digs into the roadway or ground and causes the vehicle to rollover.

During handling maneuvers to test stability conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) three vehicles (Ford Ranger, Ford Explorer, and Chevrolet Lumina) experienced tire debeading. Interestingly, the now recalled Firestone Wilderness tires on the Ford vehicles were inflated to Ford's recommended 26 psi, which in addition to creating more heat build-up and risk of tread separation, contributes to debeading and subsequent loss of vehicle control. The 26 psi inflation pressure was alleged to be one of the causal factors of Firestone tire tread separation -- Ford now recommends 30 psi.

Go here to see more.

http://www.productsliability.net/tiresoverview.html
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

Most, if not all 16's say right on them DO NOT MOUNT ON 16.5 INCH RIM...the same is true for the reverse...16.5's on a 16 inch rim...real bad idea as Bump has shown!
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I have 16.5 diamond rims

I have eight HUMV tires I need to get rid of.
    Four are good, 50% or more tread. Will sell very cheap.
    Four are less then 50% tread, a couple marked as flats. Good for spares, so cheap... they're free if you can come get them.
    I'm near St. Louis. Email me if interested, make offer, gary.d.trautman@monsanto.com.