Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass hardtop install ????

Question Fiberglass hardtop install ????

Hey everyone i have a fiberglass hardtop for my 715.Im not sure but i think it is one of the boyce equipment ones.It looks like the ones i see on there website.The dumb question is how are these held down?? I just dont see it lol I tried using the search and didnt come up with anything. I will take some pics tomorrow morning and post them.It might not even be a boyce top.But it looks to well engineered to be a homemade one. This question probly sounds dumb but i want to put my hardtop on lol Thanks Mike
    Last edited by guswheels; February 2nd, 2008 at 07:02 PM. Reason: typo

Default step by step

Step by step instructions on Open Discussion forums
    I looked at it and followed it step by step and it's great works good to help you post pictures
    I'd like to see your top

Yea i just found it after i posted.I edited my post lol I will post some up tomorrow.
    Mike

My fiberglass tops have 2 bolts through the front lip that fasten to the windshield frame and a bracket on each side in the rear that bolt into the regular soft-top frame holes. I assume they are boyce tops because they were on 2 trucks that I got from St. George, Utah.

I was wondering if thats how it mounted.Now do they use any weatherstripping or anything?? were it meets the windsheild frame?? Ive been wicked busy and havent had a chance to get pics of my top yet to see if it is even a boyce top. thanks Mike

Mine have no weather stripping and have a 1" gap around the windows. The fit is pathetic. That is why they are being replaced with regular soft tops. Now my factory hardtop fit is great.

Now if im not mistaken the factory hardtops are extemely hard to find and expensive right??

Sounds like your was built from the same pattern as mine, .. doesn't fit very well, mine was so far off in the back that I cut the metal brackets loose (die grinder) and moved them up so the top would set down as far as practical. I still have a gap at the back of the door because the door frame angles up in relation to the top of the window, . .still trying to figure out a fix on that one. I like the hardtop for this time of year because of the snow, but come spring, . sportin' a soft top, .. . . .or topless!!

Factory hardtops are rarer than hen's teeth. I found a NOS artic top (flat version) 2 years ago for $1k.

I think my fiberglass tops would be ok with 3 mods: Remount the metal brackets so it sits lower in the back. Trim the front edge so that it sits down on the window frame (right now it sits on the soft rail). Put in a plexiglass rear window.

I live in alaska and have never seen a soft top. all the ones I see are factory hardtops,mine is a slant style with mega headroom.
    so maybe a road trip is in order.