Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: what fuel is safe?

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    If ethanol production wasn't subsidized and mandated to be used in gasoline, it wouldn't be used at all.
    Exactly! This is YOUR tax money supporting something detrimental to YOUR vehicle and YOU have to buy the detrimental fuel that YOU are subsidizing to then ruin YOUR fuel system....

We are not all stupid...but there are too many that are.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I wanted to let this thread run a while before making a comment. Fortunately, I have not had a problem with the gas fouling the carburetor in my M715 or my Corvair. But I will not use anything but ethanol free gas in my small engines, generator, lawnmower, chainsaw etc.

I think more than anything else, I have been lucky. I have had problems with the push lawnmower getting slimy in the carburetor bowl.

As others have noted, I seem to get better gas mileage when I use ethanol free gasoline. What I do for my generator is to buy 5 gallons of ethanol free gas, put Sta-Bil in it and keep it for no longer than a year. If I have not used it, it goes into the car and the mileage goes up!

For the little that we drive these vehicles, it really isn't all that much more expensive. Typically, we have 87 or 89 ethanol free gas available here. I live near the Atlantic Ocean and we have a lot of boats here, hence the proliferation of ethanol free gas.

Now for the Corvair, it has 100LL in it right now. It likes that!

I didn't mention 100LL earlier because of the possible tax issues involved. But, yes it does wake up an engine. Smells so wonderful out the exhaust pipe too.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

For all your 100LL needs...

http://www.100ll.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSpringsRob View Post
    For all your 100LL needs...

http://www.100ll.com/
    Two local airports have 100LL for $3.75. Our airport has always been expensive; $5.29. So, “Road Trip” (or is it “Air Trip?) comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    I didn't mention 100LL earlier because of the possible tax issues involved. But, yes it does wake up an engine. Smells so wonderful out the exhaust pipe too.
    Absolutely correct

That app is great for finding it but the prices vary tremendously.
    As does gasoline with ethanol.

, don't rely on that app if you have to put ethanol free in to continue your journey. Unless you can call or some other way verify what octane it is and what price it is. Plus, if they actually have any that day.
    On a recent motorcycle trip from here to Montana, I had no problems locating booze-free gas with that app: when my fuel light went on, I'd pull over in the next town, open the app, go to the nearest station with ethanol-free. Not one problem with supply, and the return trip was on the first weekend of Sturgis, when seemingly everybody & their brother was on the road.