Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil filling it up, best oil

Exclamation oil filling it up, best oil

I'm a high school student who is working on a M-715 jeep and i was wonder how to fill the oil a mechanic how is helping said because its a military truck there might be two bolt to fill the oil. just wondering if that's the right way to do it. and what is the best oil for that engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce3445 View Post
    I'm a high school student who is working on a M-715 jeep and i was wonder how to fill the oil a mechanic how is helping said because its a military truck there might be two bolt to fill the oil. just wondering if that's the right way to do it. and what is the best oil for that engine?
    Go to the top of the page and open the link for the online Maintenance Manuals, they have most every bit of info you will ever need on these trucks for basic maintenance. As for the oil fill on the stock 230 motor, there is only the fill hole through the top of the valve cover.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

To throw in my two cents, I was told that our modern oil does not have certain additives as the 60’s oil, and today’s diesel oil would be better. So, do some research. I’m sure there some oil debate posts on this site somewhere.
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY

I use the Rotella 15-40 diesel oil in all of my military vehicle engines. Manual says 6 quarts with a new filter.
    Last edited by m38inmaine; May 9th, 2020 at 07:10 PM.

Another user of Rotella 15-40 diesel oil in all my gas and Diesel engines made before 1999.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Can't go wrong with Rotella or Delo 15/40 oil.

I can't remember the year without finding a write up on oil I did on another site, but quite a while ago (80's) the oil companies greatly reduced the ZDDP because it would contaminate and kill catalytic converters. ZDDP is zinc and phosphorus and needs to be together for the anti wear benefits. The Buick 350 in a restoration I recently completed had some very flat cam lobes from oil that was not good for flat tappet cams. The motor was rebuilt and built for todays fuel and only runs with high zinc oil now.
    To the young man who started this thread, good for you for asking. The Rotella the guys mention is a great oil. And if you google high zinc oils for older engines, you will see some pretty expensive stuff. One of the most economical oil's high in ZDDP is Valvoline VR-1 10W-30. I use it in my older gas engines now, when I used to use mobil 1. Mobil 1 despite being synthetic is low in ZDDP and not a good choice. The Rotella will be easier to find and is a perfect choice.
    ZDDP additives are also not a good idea. Some of them did more harm than good and not one oil manufacturer anywhere will condone putting ZDDP additive in their carefully prepared oil recipe.
    And don't ever use a fram filter. Whew, I have not said that in years...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce3445 View Post
    Don't let that clown touch it
    M35A2, M38A1, M715 w/w

I think the 2 bolt thing he mention is on some vehicles...not these but others...never done one myself but I think you fill to the upper one and when you check it it has to be at least to the lower one? Sonmeone else will know....BUT that does NOT apply to the M715.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

The two bolt thing sounds to me like a gear box, transmission, transfer case of something of that nature.

Maybe I'm wrong though.