Thread: Original Tornado Ignition issues

Default Original Tornado Ignition issues

I am in need of suggestions from those experienced with the Tornado 230. Readying the motor for its initial startup after sitting for a few years. I have set the timing static. Cleaned and gapped the new plugs, there is a new rotor/cap/points/condenser and verified there is spark (although the spark seems weak to me). 28volts to the distributor. I have tested the coil and it appears to have passed. The initial spin with starter fluid produced no pop or engine run. I am at a loss of what to testing/procedure to do next. Any pertinent assistance would be appreciated.
    Leave no soldier behind

Quote Originally Posted by Ambulance Driver View Post
    I am in need of suggestions from those experienced with the Tornado 230. Readying the motor for its initial startup after sitting for a few years. I have set the timing static. Cleaned and gapped the new plugs, there is a new rotor/cap/points/condenser and verified there is spark (although the spark seems weak to me). 28volts to the distributor. I have tested the coil and it appears to have passed. The initial spin with starter fluid produced no pop or engine run. I am at a loss of what to testing/procedure to do next. Any pertinent assistance would be appreciated.
    Double check to make sure you are not 180 off on the dist.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

What color is the coil in the ignitor? Is it a sorta light gold color or shiny chrome?

Does the distributor rotor actually turn while cranking the engine? My truck quit out of the blue driving through town last month due to distributor drive failure.

I have one that is a brass goldish color and one that is shiny chrome
    Leave no soldier behind

distributor lines up with #1 piston at TDC
    Leave no soldier behind

yes. the rotor shaft turns with the motor.
    Leave no soldier behind

put in a new coil. I have had coils test ok, but still not work.