ForumsBasic TrainingOnline Maintenance ManualsThe M715 Zone Vin RegistryVPW's M715 Parts ListGalleriesLinks

Go Back   M715 Zone > General Tech > Open Discussion > PseudoZone - Open Archive

Old November 11th, 2009, 09:26 PM

Binford is a Soldier
Default binfordm715 : Hand throttle cable installation query

Hand throttle cable installation query
Post by binfordm715 on Aug 20, 2006, 12:28am

I picked up one of those hand throttle control T-knob deals that mounts to the dash beside the choke knob. I can't find anything in the manuals that details how that goes in. And why does it have two cables?

I know how I'm probably going to hook it up, which wouldn't be stock, but was curious how they did it and why it would have double cables.

PseudoZone is a Soldier
Default tacomainoh :

Re: Hand throttle cable installation query
Post by tacomainoh on Aug 20, 2006, 3:23am

that sounds more like the fording shut off valve control. I'm looking at a manual that shows two cables attached to it.... looks like the two cables go to two seperate vent hoses, and it closes them off so as not to allow water into the top and bottom of the motor.

P.136 of TM 9-2320-244-20.
Sergeant

kwai is a Soldier
Default kwai :

Post by kwai on Aug 20, 2006, 6:33am

the hand throttle on the 715 attaches to the gas pedal linkage. it doesn't attach to the carb directly. like taco said, the cables you have are probably actually for the fording valves.

Binford is a Soldier
Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Aug 20, 2006, 8:23am

Ahhhh.... That it's part of the fording kit makes sense! I read about that somewhere before. Well, it will work for a throttle control too.

I'm just going to rig it up as I did my 10-speed bicycle shift lever in my CJ. I hooked it up to the carburetor linkage using a couple inches of that chain stuff from a pull-chain light. That way it will pull tight, but if I had to hit the gas for some reason, it would flex. Still got to watch it when you need to slow down though! It'd be used to keep it at a high idle and for crawling over bouncy stuff where it's hard to hold your foot steady on the gas pedal.
Grand Poobah

brute4c is a Soldier
Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Aug 21, 2006, 9:54am

I can take a pic of the hand throttle connection for you...it does connect to the gas pedal linkage in the cab so its a very short cable..and only 1.

Binford is a Soldier
Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Aug 21, 2006, 10:36am

Sure, if it's not a hassle for you, I'd love a picture of the setup. So it's not in any of the manuals? I imagine the cable would be significantly shorter if it only had to reach the pedal linkage. I could always let the cable make a long, sweeping turn behind the dash!

So in the stock setup, if you have the throttle knob set to maybe 2000 rpm, and you goose the gas pedal, does the way it's set up allow for the engine to rev up?

The way I set up the 10-speed shifter lever in my CJ was to hook the end of the cable to a 3" piece of that ball chain from a pull-chain light such as you'd see in an attic or whatever. That way the chain pulls the throttle open, but if I goose the pedal, the chain goes limp to allow the engine to speed up. Just curious if the M715 stock throttle set-up would allow for this too.
Grand Poobah

brute4c is a Soldier
Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Aug 21, 2006, 10:45am

It will allow that revving action...basically,the cable pulls on the same pivot as the gas pedal, so wen you pull this level, the pedal goes down as well...doing the same thing with your hand as you do with your foot....so now you have the lever pulling the pedal to 10% of its travel lets say....you can still sep on the pedal to go from 10% to 100% just not lower without releasing the lever.
You can rev it with the lever just like you do with your foot....the kids have flooded mine a few times by playing with that as they like how it makes the gas pedal move without touching it.